Vegan Shampoo Bar - Make Your Own
Shampoo and conditioner bars are a great way of helping the environment by saving thousands of gallons of unnecessary plastic bottles. Make one at home and stop wasting money and plastic!
Picture borrowed from greenqueen.com <3
This shampoo bar is easy to make and it is a very basic one for normal hair. Read the other articles about other bars for other hair types. This recipe is for one bar regular sized. Anyhow, let´s start making some vegan shampoo bars!
- One Cup of extra virgin Olive Oil
- One Cup of melted Coconut Oil
- One Cup of Castor Oil (great for both hair growth and health)
- 1 1/2 Cup of tap water
- 2/3 a cup of lye (be careful because it is almost exclusively made of sodium hydroxide)
- 3 Tablespoons of a preferred essential oil, we love just a plane lavender one for this recipe
- A hand mixer
- Mix the olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil together in a glass bowl.
- Put the water in a heat proof container.
- Put your lye gently in the water while you stir, the water will have a cloudy consistence, but it will clear up as your stir. Be careful with the water because the lye will make it hot.
- Let the water sit until it is cool, you can use a food thermometer to check if it cools down.
- After the water is cool you can mix it in with the oils and stir it with a bamboo spoon by hand, and do this for 5-7 minutes.
- After this you can use a hand mixer and mix it gently until the mix is creamy and make sure that there are no air bubbles in the mixture.
- Add in your essential oil and mix it for a couple minutes.
- Pour your shampoo mixture in a soap molder or in smaller ice cube molders.
- Leave your finished result for about 24-48 hours and make sure you turn them every 10-12 hour.
- If you used a soap molder or a bigger flat molder you can cut them up now and they are ready to be used!